Friday, April 13, 2007

warm weather preparation

I have the good fortune of going on a warm weather vacation this weekend. Since I live in Southern Maine (that is not a complaint) and we have been experiencing an unusually chilly and snowy April (that is), I am really looking forward to my Carribean getaway.

I did experience a bit of a panic a few weeks ago because I realized I had a lot to do if I wanted to step right into my weekend of sunshine. While I'm bundling up in turtlenecks and sweaters I'll have to pack summer clothes and shoes and not look like I'm from the Great White North. Talk about having to flip a switch.

I tackled the clothes first. I started a list of the items I wanted to bring. Then in typical girl-fashion I changed it once I started getting into my summer "wardrobe". I'll spare you the list of everything I tried on. The items that did make the cut were a khaki short, charcoal bermudas, nice white capris, three dressy tank tops, four basic tank tops, two short sleeve shirts that can be casual or dressy, one knit dress, one beach coverup and three swimsuits.

The shoe selection was relatively easy. A nice summer heel for dinners, my flat patent white K. Jacques thong sandal that is super comfortable and goes with everything and a Reef flip flop for the pool. I just had to make sure my feet were sandal ready.

I paint my toenails year-round so my feet usually look nice. They just needed a little TLC. A few sessions with a pumice stone removed the tough skin, and using the cuticle clippers and a nail file brought my feet to sunshine worthy status.

Once my clothing and shoe wardrobes were established I faced another issue. Capri's, bathing suits and sandals mean you have to expose your legs. I'm olive tone, but fair, therefore risk blinding people with my pasty winter legs.

My rescue came in a tube of Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer. It's a daily body moisturizer that delivers small doses of self tanner. The maximum depth and intensity of color is reached after about one week of daily use. It's better than a regular self tanner; no uneven application mistakes and no heavy scent.

My warm weather vacation preparation in a nutshell: figure out your wardrobe a few days before you depart, make sure your feet look nice and use some self tanner. Trust me, it only sounds that simple. At least for this diva.

Okay, gotta run and get some beauty sleep.

0 comments: