Monday, March 19, 2007

Packing for Travel

Thirteen years ago I swore I would never pack more than I could carry. Ever.

Back then carry-on guidelines allowed two pieces of carry-on luggage and one personal item. I went on a trip with a girlfriend and brought a garment bag and a duffle bag. It first occured to me that I had too much stuff when I was hustling in O'Hare to make a connection between the B and C gates. The further I went, the heavier that luggage got. The gate closed two minutes before I got there, and I know I could have made it if I hadn't been weighed down by my bags.

On the way home from that trip I thought I had my solution by checking one of my bags. When that was lost for two days I decided I would never struggle with luggage again.

I have only checked a bag once in the past thirteen years (I realize that there are exceptions to every rule and mine was made on the way back from Paris). Here are the guidelines I follow to make sure I've got what I need all in one piece of carry-on luggage.

Two simple words are my guide when packing for a trip: BE PREPARED. This "rule" applies to every tip listed below.

Check the weather forecast for your final destination. You don't want to arrive in Chicago with your favorite cashmere sweaters only to find it's going to be 60 degrees the weekend you're there.

Have a printed itinerary that includes your contacts and any confirmation numbers regarding reservations you've arranged (hotels, airlines, etc.). By having the names of people you spoke with or printed confirmation numbers, you'll be able to resolve any miscommunication.

Make a checklist of essential items. Then use that as your packing guide for every trip. If you travel at least once a month, I suggest a list for cold and warm climates.

Avoid over packing by planning your outfits. It's important here to be honest about what you'll be doing on your trip. If it's a business trip, you won't need three pairs of jeans. Will you really be able to fit a workout in?

No more than three pairs of shoes (total). Wear the heaviest pair, pack the other two. I love shoes, some would say more than most other women. I still stick to this rule (on warm weather vacations I allow a flip flop for a fourth shoe). Again, be honest. Planning on walking a lot? Leave the high heels at home.

Keep a toiletry kit packed and ready to go. When I unpack from a trip, I replenish what I've used so I'm ready for the next trip. Next time you stock up on your skincare, ask for a sample size of the products you're purchasing. Keep up to date with liquid restrictions for carry-on bags by visiting tsa.gov (currently you're allowed up to three ounces of liquids that fit in a quart size Ziploc bag).

diva tip: Invest in a bag that allows you to compress the volume of your clothes. Eagle Creek makes Pack-It Compressor Bags. Zip it up and take out the volume, up to 60%. Your clothes can get wrinkled, so I suggest using it as a laundry bag.

Flight 001 has a great line called Spacepak. There are six different bags: Suitor, Lingerie, Clothes, Underwear, Toiletry and Shoe. All except the Suitor Bag are double sided and labeled clean and dirty on the inside. There are four small vents that allow you to compress and release any air. They also have a suggested system of how to pack the different bags in your suitcase to optimize space. Spacepak is more expensive than some compressor bags but worth it since you won't suffer wrinkly consequences and can pack clean clothes in it.

Eagle Creek is available online at Rei.com and EMS.com. Flight 001 has seven stores and is available online at flight001.com.

Hope you can use some of that information next time you pack for a trip.

Happy Travelling!!

0 comments: