Wednesday, May 09, 2007

High Maintenance

Toby Keith has a song called "High Maintenance Woman".

Whenever I hear this song on the radio I am reminded of the time a friends husband called me high maintenance.

He was listening to us chatting about people and said, "Boy, you are high maintenance".

My immediate response was, "Yes, I am. I've got standards. I mean who wants to be low maintenance?"

My friend chuckled and appreciated the way I spun the negative connotation. Her husband was somewhat surprised by my response, but didn't have anything else to say on the subject.

So what exactly is high maintenance?

Someone who takes care of themselves? Someone who spends money on personal grooming habits? Someone who likes nice food? Someone who likes to dress nicely? Someone who treats others with respect and dignity? Someone who expects others to treat them with respect and dignity?

I color my hair. I wear makeup. I love good food. I usually look put together. I'm also nice, hard-working and a great friend. I am not mean nor do I feel entitled to anything.

Is that all sooooo bad?

If anyone tells you that you're high maintenance - smile and say, "thank you".

0 comments: