Monday, February 12, 2007

Winter Sweater Care

Finally. My thoughts for taking care of your winter sweaters.

Just follow these few simple guidelines and you'll be able to keep your sweaters looking as good as the day you purchased them.

Read the label. "Dry Clean Only" means just that. Clothing labelled "Dry Clean" can usually be washed by hand or machine (gentle cycle). Visit The Laundress for great tips on how to wash cashmere (there's even a video).

Fold, fold, fold. Folding prevents stretching. You can hang lightweight knits on a padded or wood hanger.

Use the proper tools. If you're going to machine wash your cashmere sweaters, use a laundry detergent made specifically for cashmere (I hate to sound like a broken record, The Laundress has a Wool & Cashmere Shampoo). Your sweaters shouldn't go in the machine unless they're in a mesh laundry bag. Be sure you have a few bags so you can wash multiple items and pack them loosely. Remove unwanted pilling and fuzz by using a fabric shaver (some diva's keep a disposable razor in their closet just for this task).


Pest protection. Use lavender or cedar to prevent moths and carpet beetles from ruining your favorite sweaters. Both keep the pests away and keep your knits smelling fresh. You can make your own lavender sachet by tying up loose lavender in a piece of cheesecloth. Cedar needs to be replaced annually and shouldn't be stored with your cottons or linens (those fibers are vulnerable to the wood acids).

diva tip: I like to "air out" my sweater before putting it back in my closet. I drape it over the back of a chair overnight, then fold and put away the next day. This actually gives my sweater a chance to "bounce back" from any stretching it underwent during the day. Some pests are drawn to animal and human hair, so I run a sticky lint remover over my sweater, before I put it away, to get rid of any hair it may have picked up. That also picks up any crumbs that can attract other pests.

I hope you found that information worth the wait. Stay warm!

0 comments: